We've been enjoying cedar planked salmon all summer. It's got to be one of the easiest ways to prepare salmon and always results in delicious tasting, perfectly cooked fish. Gorgeous!
- 4 individual cedar planks
- 4 6-8 oz salmon pieces
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup coconut crystals
- 2 inches fresh ginger root
- 4 cloves of garlic
Soak the cedar planks for at least an hour in water.
- Light the grill and turn on high heat
- Cut salmon into 6-8 oz pieces
- Brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- Place soaked planks on grill for 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, flip planks over and place salmon skin side down on planks.
- Turn the heat down low, close the lid of your grill and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness of salmon. Do not open the lid of your grill as you are part steaming the salmon (this is where your delicious texture is going to come from)
- While salmon is cooking, prepare your glaze as described below
- After 8 minutes, quickly brush on marinade and continue to cook for 2 more minutes
- When time is up, remove the planks and serve the salmon on or off the plank. We frequently eat the salmon straight off the plank! Drizzle any leftover glaze on the salmon just before serving.
Place the balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, coconut crystals, ginger and garlic in a small sauce pan and warm over a low heat for a few minutes until the coconut crystals are melted and ingredients are well combined.